LAMP, MAMP, ...
Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (/Perl / Python) = LAMP; the well-known acronym for one of the most popular development- and runtime- platforms for Internet- and web-based applications.
Great for dynamic, reliable, responsive, and scalable solutions for both Internet and intranet systems.
10 Popular Web 2.0 Projects Built on LAMP
|Digg||A website made for people to discover and share content from anywhere on the Internet. Links and stories are submitted, voted and commented in a social and democratic spirit.|
|Blip.tv||A video sharing service designed for creators of user-generated content.|
|Technorati||An Internet search engine for searching blogs, competing with Google, Yahoo and IceRocket|
|A social news website on which users can post links to content on the web.|
|A free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send “updates” (or “tweets”. Text posts are loaded up to the Twitter website directly or via message service (SMS), instant messaging, or a third-party application such as Twitterrific or Facebook.|
|Wikipedia||A free, multilingual, open content encyclopedia project.|
|del.icio.us||A social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks.|
|flickr||An image and video hosting website, web services suite, and online community platform.|
|YouTube||A video sharing website where users can upload, view and share video clips.|
|MySpace||A popular social networking website offering an interactive, user- submitted network of friends, personal profiles, blogs, groups, photos, music and videos for teenagers and adults internationally|
Source: www.venturecake.com “Web 2.0 is Build on Open Source”
Linux-based (LAMP), Mac OS (MAMP)-based, ...
Variants of this plays on the same theme and include e.g. MAMP (Mac OS X, ...), WAMP (Windows, ...), LAPP (Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL, ...
2 1&1 refer to 1and1.com hosting computer at this time hosting among others the comgt web.
3 1&1 is secretive about processes and files; best source for details is probably running phpinfo.php.
LAMP FAMP MAMP OAMP SAMP WAMP
LAPP FAPP MAPP OAPP SAPP WAPP
LAMR FAMR MAMR OAMR SAMR WAMR
LAPR FAPR MAPR OAPR SAPR WAPR
"XAMPP is a free and open source cross-platform web server package, consisting mainly of the Apache HTTP Server, MySQL database, and interpreters for scripts written in the PHP and Perl programming languages." [wikipedia.org/wiki/XAMPP]
* X (meaning cross-platform)
* Apache HTTP Server
References, Read More
- Mac: MAMP from living-e: www.mamp.info,
living-e's web site: www.living-e.de/en.
- Version 1.7.1: 127 MB to download (note: very, very, slow server - takes a looong time to download; at least in Mar '08)
- when installed and running: localhost:8888/MAMP/?language=English
- Various packaged stacks - LAMP (w/ Apache 1.3 and 2, MySQL 4 and 5, PHP 4 and 5, Python 2.3 and 2.4), LAPP, MAMP: bitrock.com/download_webstacks_download.html from bitrock.com.
- wide search on LAMP and MAMP: www.google.com/search?q=mamp+lamp
- Playing Scrabble With the LAMP Stack - Systems Management
News On The Web,
July 1, 2008
on difficulties managing different stacks. sysmannews.com ArticleID=32439
- Playing Scrabble With the LAMP Stack - Systems Management News On The Web (PDF; Systems Management Magazine; 2008-07-16)